Sunday, June 14, 2009

Getting to know my father !!

My uncle passed away a month back. He was an avid reader. He would read anything and everything. He spent the last 5 years of his life reading. His room unearthed a treasure of books. About 4000 of them. From Ludlums to Karl Marx, JK Rowling to Khalil Gibran. Amidst this treasure was buried a small notebook which has brought an enigma into my life. In this notebook my uncle has penned 20 pages about my father.

I have not had the fortune of seeing my father so i never thought of getting to know about him. By the time i grew up and gained senses, he was not a part of my family's lives and they had got used to live without him. The only time I used to hear about him was when old relatives dropped in and spoke about him. I grew up with a cognizance that my father was partly religious, spoke well and was well travelled. Nothing beyond that.

This notebook has changed that perception in me. The 20 pages contain excerpts of my fathers writings. I got to know that he used to write regularly. About his travels across the world, about the people he met, about his family, about his joys and sorrows. The pieces of writings i found have indicated that he had an impeccable command over english, very clear thoughts and presentations and instances which were a lesson in philosophy and good living to everybody reading them. Obviously i was curious to know where these were taken from and who has the original writings. The answer came as a pleasant surprise. My brother has them in Dubai.

Voila....!! Iam surprised at myself. How could i not even know about all this ? How is it that i never thought of getting to know him.

Well.. My holiday to Dubai has suddenly got exciting. This is one trip Iam looking forward to as i will get to know my father after 34 years......


No comments: